Arthouse Film Foundation (AFF), India is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the discovery and development of independent films, artists and audiences. It supports research, practice and education in the field of filmmaking as a tool to practice arts and culture across Indian sub-continent, a.k.a South Asia. The Foundation seeks to discover, support, and inspire independent film, media, and audiovisual artists from India and South Asia, and to introduce audiences to their new work. As a facilitator, catalyst and provocateur in the field, AFF strives to provide professional training opportunities and to bring producers from different regions of the world together with the aim of facilitating co-production relationships.
Keeping up with our long term moto to discover and support young independent filmmakers, Arthouse Film Foundation had started organising Arthouse Asia Film Festival, since 2016. The festival is dedicated to high quality international standard films, where every year 10 fiction feature films and documentaries from across the globe are ably curated and exhibited. The 4th edition of the film festival is scheduled to be held in January 2020 in Kolkata, India and it additionally includes Screenwriting workshop sessions in collaboration with Produire Au Sud, France and Institut Francais.
Arthouse Asia Produire Au Sud Kolkata workshopis going to be a joint initiative by Arthouse Asia Film Festival of Kolkata and Produire Au Sud workshop from Festival Des 3 Continent, France, and supported by French Institute and French Embassy in India (represented by French audiovisual attaches Pierre Laburthe) and French Alliance in Kolkata. The ambition of this workshop is to help the participants gain knowledge of the techniques and tools of international film co-production through a program solely dedicated for international co-production. This will help lay the foundations of film cooperation between European professionals and professionals from the countries of South Asia.
Festival Dates: 6th to 12th January, 2020.
Workshops dates: 7th to 11th January, 2020.
Open Pitch dates: 12th January, 2020.
Deadline of the call for entries for workshop: October 15, 2019
Announcement of the selection: Late October 2019
For details refer to:
Our festival director, Mr Shapath Das, had been invited to the recent 72nd edition of Locarno Film Festival 2019. Locarno Film Festival had chosen only 24 Under 30 film professionals across the globe to discuss the THE AUDIENCE OF THE FUTURE. Its an honour for us to represent South Asia at the world’s stage. Personally, Mr Shapath has been doing film festival programming for last 6 years, and currently working with multiple international film festivals as a consultant in South Asia. Here is the Screendaily Article about the Locarno Film Festival Program.
Mentors for Screenwriting Lab/Workshop:
- Jérémie Dubois (Filmmaker, Scriptwriter): Jérémie is a Paris based screenwriter and director who studied political sciences before attending to NFTS in London and French La FEMIS where he met Akihiro. He saw his graduation short film selected for the Critics’ Week in Cannes and has co-written since then feature films with Vincent Macaigne or Carlo F. Manatad (Whether the weather is fine, Feature Lab 2017). He is as well to direct a film about a foster mother who loves too much the boy she looks after and prevents him to go on holidays with his mum.
- Gualberto Ferrari (Filmmaker, Scriptwriter, Script Consultant): Gualberto has been internationally working as a screenwriter, script consultant and documentary director for thirty years. As script consultant he works for Equinoxe, Produire au Sud and for Sources 2. He received an award for NOTES FOR A STORY, an adaptation of the renowned book by Julio Cortazar. CONFESSIONS, his last feature-length documentary film, won awards at various festivals.
- Juliette Grandmont (Producer): A former journalist, Juliette Grandmont worked as producer from 2000 to 2006 for Artcam International, (“Platform” by Jia Zhang Ke – China (Venice, Competition), “The Road” de Darezhan Omirbaev – Kazakhstan (Cannes, Un Certain Regard) and “Angel on the Right” by Djameshed Usmonov – Tajikistan (Cannes, Un Certain Regard), and in the production of French films (“Le Chignon d’Olga” by Jérôme Bonnell). She produced 25 short and medium-length films which were selected and won awards in over 120 festivals (Clermont Ferrand, notably) and selected for a César. She founded Charivari films in association with Elise Jalladeau (Paris) and Natacha Devillers (Shanghai). They coproduced “El cielo, la tierra y la lluvia” by José Luis Torres Leiva, (Rotterdam film Festival), “Huacho” by Alejandro Fernandez Almendras (Cannes Critic’s Week) and “El Custodio” by Rodrigo Moreno (Berlinale competition). Currently, she heads up Clandestine and is producing 1st and 2nd European feature films, as “Ich bin Eine Terroristin, by Valérie Gaudissart (2012) and “Shanghai-Belleville”, By Show-Chun Lee (2015).
- Clément Duboin (Producer): After working in the international distribution, Clément Duboin have been producing for almost 10 years, first at Urban Factory where he produced and coproduced films such as MOBILE HOME by François Pirot (Locarno 2012 – Young Jury Prize), EL MUDO by Daniel & Diego Vega (Silver Leopard for Best Actor in Locarno 2013, Toronto IFF 2013), musical documentary VIRAMUNDO by Pierre-Yves Borgeaud, ONCE UPON A TIME, VERONICA by Marcelo Gomes (Special Mention in San Sebastian 2012, Toronto IFF 2012) and Ariel Rotter’ LA LUZ INCIDENTE (Toronto IFF 2015). Since 2015, he runs Paris based production company Good Fortune Films where his latest credits include Marco Dutra & Juliana Rojas ‘ GOOD MANNERS, Andrea Pallaoro’ HANNAH, Pablo Giorgelli’ INVISIBLE and Samuel Tilman’ UNE PART D’OMBRE.
- Pascale Ramonda (Producer): She has over 15 years experience in the international film industry. Her career began in film finance working with Producer Paulo Branco. She then moved to Paris to join Celluloid Dreams, one of the industry’s leading international sales agents of independent films, as Festivals Manager. Pascale Ramonda’s company was launched in 2010 as a new venture adapting to this new reality of promoting and distributing independent films. Selecting strong titles that have bypassed industry circuits from the major international film festivals, her mission is to match each film with the best screening opportunities around the world.
- Stefano Tealdi (Producer): Born in South Africa in 1955, he graduated in Architecture and was head of audiovisual production at the Politecnico di Torino in Italy.. He established Stefilm in 1985 where he develops, produces and directs documentary features and series, including CITIZEN BERLUSCONI, VINYLMANIA (IFFR 2012), CHAR, NO MAN’S ISLAND (Berlinale Forum 2013), THE QUEEN OF SILENCE (best doc at Krakow FF 2015); IN THE BELLY OF THE CITY (doc series). EAVE graduate, he chairs the annual Italian workshop “Documentary in Europe”, tutors for Biennale Cinema & VR College Venice, European Documentary Network EDN, Esodoc, Med Film Factory, Marché du Film Cannes, Scuola Holden, Festival des 3 Continents – Produire au Sud, Zelig Film School.